Thursday 9 August 2007

Commuting

Commuting to and from Ipswich & Mayfair has now become a new sport for me!

Each day, I am enjoying my train ride more and more. There are such characters each and every day that get on and off the train. This morning for example, there was a dear old lady with violin strapped to her back, a suitcase and bulky handbag - the gentleman she chose to sit next to then tried to help her with all her baggage. I then heard her comment to him "gosh, i haven't had a young strapping man bent down on his knees in front of me in years"....well, you can imagine, I was nearly in streams of tears, from what should have come over as such an innocent comment, I obviously misconstrued just to cheer my journey up!

Then there are the "accents"....oh, and these are the "farmer boys" that get on at Norwich. There is nothing wrong in having an accent, and how dull life would be if we all spoke in the same way, but this accent just makes me die. These men are suited and booted and having what should sound intelligent telephone conversations with clients/colleagues, yet their accent just changes the overall effect......

Then there are the families getting excited as they are off to the big smoke for a day out! I only get to see these if i am on a later train....they have so many bags just for one day. They just take over the whole carriage with their screams of delight when the train departs Ipswich. It's fun and it makes you remember how lovely it must feel to be a youngster with no worries but just excitement in going to explore a different place.

Then there's the game you play trying to guess what everyone does for a living.....a game that used to get my husband in hysterics when we were on holiday! Mmmm, he's definitely an architect!

So, in trying to change what could be a most boring ordeal each day travelling, I have managed to turn it round and make it entertaining, even if it is that little bit sad and yes, definitely for my own selfish humour!

No comments: